Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Case of the Cheap Sunglasses

This very morning I was riding to work and felt a tickling on my forehead, near my left eye. I thought nothing of it, perhaps a loose thread from the helmet's interior stitching. But 3 seconds later, a spider walked non-chalently across the lense of my sun glasses! Not a minor issue at 75mph in heavy traffic....

Fortunately I wear a modular (flip-up) helmet. I quickly flipped up the frontal "lobe" and grabbed the sunglasses with my left hand, jerking them off my face. I saw the little arachnid hitch-hiker still clinging to the lense. Ha! One quick blast 0f 75 mph wind will remove him!

Wrong. Held those glasses out in the breeze for at least 5 seconds, watching for him to disappear. Next thing I know, the traffic in front of me has slowed dramatically. Moment of choice: Slow the bike with the right hand only, or lose the glasses? No time for any other decisions.....

I hope that little 8-legged b*****d was still clinging to them when the truck behind me ran them over....

No comments:

Post a Comment